- Popularly used as – Costus Igneus ,Fiery Costus or Spiral Flag
- Flower – orange
- Edible – Leaves
- Growth – Fast growth rate
- Uses – The leaf of the plant helps in producing insulin.
PLANTING & CARE
- Temperature – Prefers temperature 35 degrees to 45 degrees
- Water – Newly planted–Costus requires 1 to 2 inches of water weekly, either through rainfall or irrigation.
- Light – Growing an insulin plant is not a bothersome task. … The plant thrives best when planted both in sun and shade. It needs at least 3 to 4 hours of sunlight. The plant is best suited in fertile and moist soil
- Fertilizer – Fertilize the underground rhizomes in the spring to prepare the plant for new growth
- Pruning – The herb best thrives in soil that is rich and well-drained. To ensure optimum foliage, add compost to the soil and make it better. You can add fertilizers to double the potency of the soil.
- Plant – Insulin plant
- Flower colour – orange
- Height – 40 to 50 cm / 1.5 feet
- Pot size – 4 – 6 inches upper diameter
- Weight – 2-3 Kgs